If you are planning a family game night or just need some new ideas for some card games for kids, this list will help you find some great family card games to play with your kids. Whether you need simple card games for kids, easy card games for two, games for younger kids, games to play with older children, or family card games that the whole family can enjoy, you are sure to find a new one for your game closet in this list!
Playing fun card games together as a family is a great way to strengthen your parent-child relationship, and teach your child to follow directions, be honest, and win and lose gracefully. Playing card games for families provides an opportunity for lots of laughs and connections. As young kids learn to play within the rules, to be honest, and to play fairly by watching your example, they will be able to transfer these skills to other parts of life as well.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience which means I may receive a small commission if you purchase through these links. Thank you for extending the support of Savoring Each Moment for Christian Moms! Please see my full disclosure policy.
Card Games for Kids
Some of the best card games for kids are the old, tried and true classic games of your childhood. Not only are these games quick and easy, but they are also portable so you can stash one or two in your purse or in the car for emergencies when you need something to keep everyone occupied.
Once your young child learns how to play the game, they will be ready to play over and over again. That’s why you need an arsenal of different fun family card games to play with your kids so you don’t get stuck playing the classic card game of Uno a million times in your sleep!
Choosing a variety of card games for families to play with your kids also offers different skills and challenges for your kids to learn as they play. When you spend time playing games as a family, your time together strengthens your relationships.
Here are some classic card games for kids to play together. These card games for families don’t take a lot of skill or even a lot of time, but playing together even for a short time frequently builds memories and relationships.
Easy Card Games for Kids for Two Players
Many of the card games for kids in this post are easy card games for two players. When you have games that only require two players, you have a lot more options. Sometimes you need some family card games for larger groups but other times you may just need an easy card game for two. No matter how many people are in your large groups or the number of cards you need for just two players, finding the best fun family card games doesn’t have to be difficult!
Often, when you are playing an easy card game for two, you have the opportunity to help your child learn the strategy, how to play their cards and learn the specifics of the game. It doesn’t have to be so much about winning or losing, but rather just playing together.
If your child is young and just learning the skill of playing card games, you can start with simple card games for kids like the ones listed above.
Then, as they learn the basics of taking turns, strategy, and playing kindly with others, you can increase your selection of simple card games for kids to include some with more skill or a little more challenge.
Usually, no matter what the game is, if you enjoy playing and spending time with your child, your kids will also enjoy and you will find with ones are the best family card games for your family.
Best Card Games for Kids to Play as a Family
Here’s the list you came for: the best card games for kids! Get ready for your family game night and check out some of these great family card games. When you invite your kids’ friends over, the cousins are at your house, or you have a family get-together, you will enjoy each of these card games for families as you laugh and play together.
- Memory is such a classic game but there are so many options and variations! This classic game is always a favorite with younger children who are learning the strategies and expanding their memories in this simple strategy game to get the most cards!
- Smack It. This game of quick action is a great game if you have a short amount of time but still want to play a quick game see who can be the fastest to hit slap the card!
- Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza is simple to play but hilariously fun! This simple game easily fits in your purse or travel bag and can be played anywhere you have a flat surface to sit around. Deal out the cards, set up a discard pile in the center of the table and start this silly game. Get a matching card with the words you’re saying and you have silly actions to fulfill as the first person so you don’t lose your position. This is one of those funny card games that’s quick and silly!
- Found It! Scavenger Hunt Found it! is an exciting game that helps children learn as they go on the most exciting ‘Search & Find’ with prompts like Can you find..”Something with a pattern? Something smaller than your palm?” etc.! Players must shout “FOUND IT!” as soon as they get their hands on the object! The first one to win 7 cards wins the game! This fun indoor scavenger hunt will be the perfect game for a rainy day or snow day.
- Blink is another small little game that is quick to play. Two players race to be the first to play all of their cards. Players quickly try to match the shape, count, or color on the cards. The first player out of playing cards wins. Fast and portable, Blink is instant fun for everyone.
- Guess in 10 Animal Planet is quick and fun to play and can be done with a few cards or played for a longer time.
- Snorta is a funny game that requires you to remember the other players animals and then create the matching sounds for each animal. If you forget who is representing what animal, you lose the round in this hilarious fun game. This one is really fun to play where there are other people because the game and all the laughter will be contagious! This game is definitely one that will keep you all in laughter and silliness!
- Racko – Work on your number skills and help your children put their numbers in order by playing this fun game. This classic game is more sedate and thoughtful but a fun way to practice your number ordering abilities. This game is one you can play with just two players if you’d like so it makes a fun learning game.
- Grandpa Beck’s Nuts about Mutts Grandpa Beck’s Nuts About Mutts is an innovative spin on the classic hand-elimination card games, where the first player to get rid of all their cards wins! With unique twists and fast-paced play, this game is one of a kind! Each card is illustrated with vivid colors and fun pup-inspired themes, like fire hydrants, bones, varying breeds of dogs, and more! Nuts About Mutts is everything you look for and expect in a card game. It is as timeless and classic as Grandpa Beck
- Kids Create Absurdity is a fun fill in the blanks game. This family card game is so much fun that you will laugh until you cry! Kids and Adults- say that this game is a blast to play for everyone of all ages. It’s Easy to Play. Simple to set up. Contains age-appropriate content for a true family card game experience that you can enjoy playing on family game night. Moms Choice Award For Excellence- Wacky And Wild Award- Best Family Fun Award- Best Travel Game Award-The perfect gift for your 6-12-year-old son, daughter, niece or nephew, and grandkids/grandchildren. Combining the super popular card game fundamentals of Mad Libs, Cards Against Humanity and Apples to Apples into one hilarious party game. Contains age-appropriate content for a true family card game experience that you can enjoy playing on Family Game Night.
- Rapid Rumble – Super fun category game: Rapid Rumble is the fastest, funniest and cleverest category game! Roll the die, set the timer, and get ready to rumble! Quickly shout out answers for the categories and be the first one to finish your deck of Letter Cards. Discover Animals, Things, Culture, Science and Nature with 120 category cards as you play this exciting game! Roll the die, pick up a category card & get ready to rumble! Race with players to think of answers for the chosen category and get rid of as many letter cards as you can. The object of the game is to be the first one to get rid of all their letter cards wins the game!
- Telestrations – This fun family card game may remind you of a game from your past. Each player starts with their own erasable sketch book, marker and word card. A roll of the die determines each player’s secret word. The timer gets turned and everyone draws their word. After 60 seconds, everyone passes their book to the player on their left. Then each player takes a few seconds to guess in words(s) what they see, and passes again. The timer is turned and everyone draws the guess.This continues until everyone’s sketch book passes by every player and returns back to its original owner, where it’s time for The Big Reveal. Everyone shares their book and the hilarious miscommunication is revealed. Just like the game of “telephone,” the outcomes are unpredictable and the laughter is contagious!
- Guess Who? Hold your cards close and pay attention to your strategy when playing. Kids can have loads of fun as they use yes or no question to guess each other’s mystery character to win the game. This edition of the Guess Who? game for kids includes 2 sets of double-sided character sheets with classic characters.
- Swim, Salmon, Swim is a fun printable game that you can print at home and play without making a trip to the mailbox or store! This game will engage younger players in the life cycle of salmon, their predators, and environment. You will even find a wild card in this game! Colorful cards are perfect for little hands and young children.
- Happy Salmon – Here’s another fish game! Unleash the Fun Anywhere! – Beach, Camping, Road Trips, and Office Shenanigans! Engaging Word Challenges, Hilarious Animal Charades, and Social Laughter! For 3-8 Players. This is a great card game that only takes 90 seconds to play! Made by the popular company who also made Exploding Kittens.
- Left Center Right – LCR (Left Center Right) is a fun, fast-paced dice game that you won’t be able to put down! Each game includes 3 specialty marked LCR dice, 24 playing chips and instructions. Players roll the dice to determine where they pass their chips. The last player with chips is the winner and wins the center pot. This game will be a good practice for left and right order and direction!
- Skyjo – Try to get as few points as possible through flipping, trading and collecting cards over the course of several rounds. This is only possible as long as a player has not uncovered all his cards, because then ends a round. So beware, keep a close eye on the game and be cautious and wary of the other player’s actions!
- Monopoly Deal – Collect 3 complete property sets but beware of the Debt Collectors, Forced Deals and Deal Breakers. If you are looking for a fun family/friend game, this is it! Unlike the classic board game that can take hours to complete, this game only takes 5-15 minutes to play with 2 people.
- Play Nine – Hole In One: Play Nine, The Card Game Of Golf, is a fun And exciting twist on the classic game of golf. Just like the actual game, the person with the lowest score wins.
- Pictionary should definitely be in your game collection. Pictionary is the classic quick-draw game that’s been a family favorite since 1985. Being an artist isn’t required; in fact, if players ‘can’t draw,’ the game can be even funnier. This is a fun game for the entire family! A great game for the whole family, ages 8 years and older. All Ages: Recommended For Ages 8 And Up, Play Nine Has Easy To Follow Instructions And Simple Game Play So The Whole Family Can Join In On A Round And Play A Hole Or Two
- Printable Bingo Games may not typically land on your list of card games for kids, but younger children can easily figure out the concept of this game. You can also play with a larger number of players if you have multiple bingo cards. Find a theme you enjoy and find a game that matches that theme like this camping bingo that you can print at home and play over and over again. You can also print a Bible story such bingo game such as this Noah’s Ark Bingo, Easter Story, Nativity, and Moses. These are great to mix up and play for a while and then swap out as you are teaching your child a new story or reviewing details while you play the game.
Using Family Card Games to Build Relationships
Family board games and card games are a great option as an alternative to sitting in front of the TV or playing video games. Choosing strategy games, games for older kids, or classic games with new cards can be a great way to spend an evening together. Family card games make a great choice as a gift for family members, and your kids will love having their own cards and games to bring to family game night.
Playing games together with kids can be a great opportunity to teach your kids to take turns and let the next player have their turn. They can also learn the face value of different cards in different games and practice their poker face as they are hiding the winning card in their hand. Whether you’re playing for highest score or the lowest point values, your kids will love learning new games. If the simple card game becomes a favorite, you will know you have one of the best games for your family!
As a mom, you want to use every opportunity you can to build a positive relationship with your child. Playing family card games together is an easy way to spend one on one time together or family time together as you laugh, learn, and enjoy your time. Whether your family’s favorite is an old classic game, one of the best board games, a fast-paced game, or even the current popular card games, your kids will enjoy much fun as they play with you! The best part of playing games together is the fun part of doing something together!
Go pull your family card games out and plan a game night today! Try a new card game for kids and enjoy the learning opportunity and fun for the whole family.
RELATED: Best Road Trip Games for Kids
You May Also Like These Posts
- Exploring Nature with Children
- Simple Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Preschool Reading Activities
- Questions to Ask When Choosing a Preschool
- Awesome Lunch Box Notes for Kids
- Books About Winter
- Simple Fall Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Memorable Valentine’s Day Traditions to Begin with Your Kids
❣ Sign up to get our weekly email filled with encouragement, ideas, and support for moms raising kids who love Jesus! ❣