No matter what month of the year you are reading this, you are probably already praying for educational success for your child. School may be in a building down the road, in another city or state, or in your own living room, but the end goal is the same.
Your goal and desire is for academic success and learning about the things that will help your child become a successful and beneficial citizen in life. Every prayer for children in school is heard by God!
So, how do your prayers for educational success help your child? A whole lot!
Praying for Educational Success for Your Child in School
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Please see my full disclosure policy.
With Jesus as the example, a praying mom will desire the same growth for her children as Mary saw in Jesus as He grew. This growth was more than just educational success. When Mary, Joseph, and Jesus when to Jerusalem for the Passover, Jesus was seemingly lost from Joseph and Mary. When they found Him, He was in the temple teaching the teachers!
Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:52
Increasing in stature is something that will happen as a natural progression of growing up, but increasing in wisdom is something that you need to pray about, nurture, encourage, and foster so that your child will grow in the wisdom of the Lord.
There are many things your child can and will learn in school. Some of these will be life-changing and motivating, and some might be life-shattering and devastating. This is why it is so important to be in prayer for children in school.
Prayer for Children in School
Praying for children in school and their specific needs allows God to work in your child’s life and on their heart and mind. It is easy to memorize math facts and learn how to draw cursive letters.
But learning to honor your parents, love your neighbor as yourself, and how to extend kindness, mercy, and grace to those around you require dedication, consistency, and God’s love!
As your child grows beyond toddler hood, your prayers should be focused on your child’s safety and academic success. This may involve struggle, challenge, and frustration, but through it all, knowing that God is guiding and leading your child. Prayers for children in school and their educational success applies to every child – homeschooled, in-person, or virtual.
5 Steps to Praying for Your Child’s Academic Growth
- Pray often – Prayer isn’t our opportunity to convince God of our needs, but rather to continually put our needs and concerns in God’s hands.
- Search the Scriptures and claim God’s promises – Find promises that speak to the needs of your children and claim those promises, knowing that God’s word is always true. Start with these 31 Bible Promises to Pray for Your Child.
- Let God be God – The human race was created with the freedom to choose. Your job is to train up and encourage and then let the Holy Spirit work on your child’s heart.
- Record it – Write down your requests and then document those answers as well. Look back often to see where God has worked in your child’s life. Remind your child of these answers as well.
- Pray for the specific needs – As your child grows, there will be different needs. Pray about the specific areas and ask God to guide your prayers for your children. Pray for the other kids in school as well as they interact with your child.
- RELATED Post: Praying Daily for Your Children
Bible Verses to Pray Over Your Child for Educational Success
One of the best ways to pray for something specific is to find and claim Bible verses as you pray for your children. God loves to hear your prayers and His promises are true. When you claim His promises as you pray for your child’s educational success and growth, God’s word will not return void.
- Philippians 1:6 ~ Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
- Exodus 20:12 ~ “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
- Psalm 141:3-4 ~ Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil
so that I take part in wicked deeds along with those who are evildoers; do not let me eat their delicacies.
- Proverbs 22:6 ~ Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
- Deuteronomy 28:1 ~ If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.
- Jeremiah 29:11-13 ~ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
- Psalm 1:1-3 ~ Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.
- Isaiah 40:11 ~ He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
- Psalm 17:8 ~ Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.
- John 14:14 ~ You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
- Psalm 139:5 ~ You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
Prayers for Educational Success for Kids in School
Here are some sample prayers that you can begin praying for your children and their academic success in school. Remember that praying for education success is like talking to another mom asking for advice and ideas. God is your friend and He wants to hear from your heart.
These prayers for educational success are simply examples. Pray from your heart. God will hear you. Use these prayers for children in school and modify them to apply to your child.
Dear Lord, Thank you so much for the privilege of bringing my concerns to you. Thank you that your mercies are new every morning and your faithfulness never ends. Today, I pray for my child’s success. Please help him/her to grow in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man. Help them to have integrity and to be honest and kind. Place a hedge of protection around them so that they aren’t tempted to stray from You.
Please guide them to be diligent and I pray that they will be caught if they do something wrong. Teach them Your ways. Please hem them in and lay your hand on them today. Please guide and lead me as I train my children. Give me the words to say and the love in my heart to teach them Your ways. Thank you for your promises. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Father in Heaven, thank you so much for the opportunity to pour out my heart to You. Thank you for understanding my heart’s cry even when I don’t know what to pray for. Today, I give you my child. I know You have a plan for them and You know the future even though You still give them the freedom to make their own choices.
Today, please keep them as the apple of Your eye and protect them under the shadow of Your wings. I pray that you will keep the door of their lips and eyes and heart so that they will turn away from things that will draw them away from You. Please send people into their life to influence them and encourage them to follow You. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer! Amen
Dear Jesus, today I lift up my child. Please carry them gently in Your arms, and protect them from evil. Please take the training they’ve had when they were young and help them not to stray from you along the way. I claim John 14:14 and ask for You to guide my child. Please bless their teachers, and the friends they’ve made at school.
Help their interactions help my child grow in favor with God and man. Help them to be strong and courageous and to stand for what is right all the time. Thank You for promising to always be with us and never leave or forsake us. Please bless my child today in a way that they will know is only from You. In Jesus’ precious name, amen.
As a mother, it can be tempting to feel like you have to convince God to answer your prayers. But when you are using the scriptures to pray for specific things for your child, you can rest assured that God hears your prayers and wants to answer those prayers.
Your children still have the freedom to make their own choices, but your prayers can allow God to work in ways by giving Him permission to work in their lives. That is the power of intercessory prayer or praying for others.
Resources to Help you Pray for Your Child’s Academic Success
As you begin praying for your children in school, this beautiful prayer journal is designed with a school year in mind. But, you can start any day or any week. It doesn’t have to be tied to a school calendar. 180 days is the typical number of days in a school year. It is also the number of degrees it takes to turn completely around. Each day in this prayer journal has a unique praise or promise Bible verse, room to write your reflections, prayer requests, and praises.
There are five daily journal pages and two weekend reflection pages for each week. Also included are monthly scripture coloring pages to help you reflect as you relax. A total of 290 + pages ready for you to download and print today.
This is the perfect daily devotional to help you records your prayers for your kids in school.
Books to encourage you and your child to pray for school success and challenges.
The Power of a Praying Mom Books – These books are filled with practical ways to pray as a mom.
Midnight Mom Devotional to help you with daily insight and encouragement.
One Year Praying Through the Bible for Your Kids – Bible reading plan to help you develop a collection of promises to pray for your child.
Praying the Scriptures for Your Child – Learn how to effectively pray for your child using Bible verses that speak to the needs they have.