Faith is a belief, trust, and confidence in something or someone. Faith should be at the core of our walk with God. It’s about believing and trusting in Him, the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. What does it mean to have faith? Can we grow our faith? What else is there to know about faith? These are questions and more will be answered right here to find Bible verses about Faith
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience which means I may receive a tiny commission if you purchase through these links. Thank you for extending the support of Savoring Each Moment for Christian Moms! Please see my full disclosure policy.
What does Faith Mean in the Bible?
The Bible talks about faith throughout the Old and New testament. Without faith, it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).
But what is faith? Faith is about having a belief. A belief in God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That faith and belief are about acknowledging, understanding, and trusting Him.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6, ESV
We need to have this faith, trust & understanding, not just a little, but fully. Faith is something that can and should grow and increase. Our faith is parallel to our relationship with God. As one grows, develops, and moves forward, so does the other.
Bible Verses About Faith
These first Bible verses about faith describe how we originally come to have faith, what faith is and how we can develop our faith. They are a great reminder of the core of faith and can be encouraging when we may be struggling with our own faith. The following verses are useful to meditate on and remind ourselves of on a regular basis.
- For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9, ESV
- Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrew 11:1, ESV
- So faith comes from hearing and hearing through the word of Christ. Romans 10:17, ESV
Bible Verses About Faith in Hard Times
Developing a strong faith is key in building resilience. With resilience, we can deal with hard times, storms, problems, and struggles. Faith is also parallel to resilience. The more we grow in faith the more resilient we become. It’s the Bible verse in Matthew about building our house on a rock. Having that firm foundation.
Imagine this: A house is built firmly on a rock, the wind is blowing and the rain is hammering at the windows, but you are inside, feeling content and at peace, perhaps there’s a fireplace and you are sitting on the sofa and Jesus is sitting right next to you.
You aren’t scared or worried because your focus is not on the storm, your eyes are firmly focused on Jesus, right next to you.
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” Matthew 7:24-27, ESV
Other Bible verses about faith in hard times for you to study and meditate on include:
- And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mark 11:22-24
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
RELATED: Bible Verses about Faith over Fear
Bible Verses About Faith and Trust
That last verse, Philippians 4:13, was the verse that God gave me over and over through my past hard times. It was such a reassuring and encouraging verse. These verses are helpful to us all. But we need to know them not just in our minds but in our hearts too. This means we are to trust the word and put our full trust in Him. This can be easier said than done. But with practice and repetition along with building our relationship with God, as said earlier, our trust will grow too.
Here are a few Bible verses about faith and trust to remind you and encourage you with this:
- And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” Mark 9:23
- If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1:5-8
- And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” Matthew 21:21-22
Bible Verses About Faith and Healing
Again, faith is about trust, but it’s also about healing. We need to have that trust to be healed. This isn’t just about physical healing, but spiritual and emotional too. We can always ask God, in prayer, for healing and deliverance. But knowing and trusting God in His timing with this is important. We can ask, but His response could be “yes, “no” or “wait”.
It’s about trusting in HIS timing and His will for our lives. He has promised us healing. That could be either while we are on this earth or in heaven. But, even if we aren’t healed in our own timing or when we want it, it can become disheartening and even devastating, we are human! But we need to persevere and keep our focus on Him.
The following Bible verses about faith and healing are reminders of how to do this and His promise for every single one of us!
- But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. James 1:6
- Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. Mark 16:16
- Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 1 Timothy 6:12
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5
- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Jeremiah 29:11
Bible Verses About Faith and Hope
Hope is about expectation, desire and trust. We can expect God’s promises He has for us, we can desire God’s will for our lives and we can put our full trust in Him too. Hope and faith are two things that go hand in hand. The more hope we have in God the more faith we have too. As a result of these two, we can experience His strength and we don’t have to rely on our own!
These Bible verses about faith and hope can encourage you today.
- Remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 1:3, ESV
- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19, ESV
- But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31, ESV
- So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
Bible Verses About Faith in God
We’ve already covered a lot of verses regarding faith. We can have faith in a lot of “things”, items, money, people. But it is important that we remember to put our ultimate faith in God. The first commandment tells us that we need to love God above anything else (Matthew 26:36-38).
With this love, comes faith and hope, as seen in the final verse above. Hebrews 11 is a full chapter on Faith, it’s worth reading the whole chapter as there are many amazing and encouraging examples of those who lived by faith despite their personal situation. But here are a few verses that I pulled from there for you to have a look at:
Bible Verses About Faith in God from Hebrews 11
- 1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen..
- 3 By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.
- 6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
- 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
- 17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son,
- 29 By faith the people crossed the Red Sea as on dry land, but the Egyptians, when they attempted to do the same, were drowned.
- 32 And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.
- 39 And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.
RELATED: How to Trust God’s Plan
Short Bible verses about faith in God
It is important to be reminded of what other verses on faith there are. This will help you to know these in your heart and apply them to your own life.
- For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 1 John 5:4
- For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” Romans 1:17
- For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” 1 John 5:4
- And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” Luke 7:50
RELATED: Easy Bible Verses to Memorize
How do You Strengthen Your Faith?
How do YOU strengthen your faith?
The more we know about God, the more we build our relationship with Him, the more our faith is built and strengthened. There are a number of ways in which we can do this. Here are a few simple ways you can start doing right away:
- Read the Word of God: Read the Holy Bible, perhaps even listen to it.
- Praise and thanksgiving: Thank Him for what He has already done for you, what He has provided for you and for His Word. For instance; nature, the sun, a home.
- Pray: Communication is key in building a relationship and building faith. He wants us to speak to Him. But we also need to remember to stop and listen to what He may want to say to us too!
Faith is the key feature in our relationship and walk with God. Having that faith, hope, and trust in God and the Trinity can help us to grow, know more about God and deal with and overcome struggles and develop resilience. Faith is a journey like our relationship with God and it can grow and be strengthened. The bible verses above, if you study and meditate on them and get to know them, in your mind and heart, will help you to do just this.
Lauren is the mum of two beautiful children. She has a BA Hons in Health and social care and also a diploma in CBT. Lauren became a born-again Christian in 2004. She is transparent about her past ups and downs with mental health, depression, anxiety, and self-harm. But she has learned to refocus from unhealthy and negative mindsets and towards Christ. Thus, the name of her ministry, ‘Mindful of Christ’. She is the author of ‘Christian-based Cognitive Behavioural therapy’ and ‘Indestructible Faith – prayers & prompts for journaling.’ As a Speaker and Christian Life Coach, she helps people recognize & overcome unhealthy and negative mindsets and discover their identity and God-given purpose.